Having in mind that any museum must create targets that are helpful to show its mission to the public opinion, mostly talking about local museums. There are many difficulties that we will find on the road to success designing these goals and work on their conclusion, even more in museums that are already open and functioning. To do a step ahead from goals and action is rather complicated, most of the times all of this purposes finished inside the closet. And it ends inside the closet because in the museum people moves, change, armony is missing between departments, not enough communication, ups and downs, misunderstanding between people involved in the museum’s management… Sometimes when we think about museum’s management we must think on ego’s wars within. All of these difficulties make really hard to reach the goals.
Foto: Vajza N’kuti
But, what are we talking about?, what objectives are these? We always have thought in consistent strategies very realistic ones in long terms. If we want to drive the museum to a better place, we do it because we want the best possible to it. We talk about creativity, creation, modify bad habits, to send a logical with enough coherence for the museum’s existence. We must design goals based under strong and good previous thinking, drawn and given with the head of the museum’s management. Going to the point, we think that we should put on the table these 6 following fundamental and necessary goals:
1. To communicate the museum’s message. The goals must be good for public relations. They give the basis to send the main point and questions of discussion through the ones that take decitions. They will show its main characteristics about contents and the reason to exist. This goal will make able to confirm museum’s existence and enforce it making a very serious effort to serve the museum’s community and other foreign visitors.
2. To focus the investigation work on the important and relevant museum’s contents. The goals will give to us a previous sketch to make possible the developing of investigation and the compiling of value data and fundamental contents, and objects. This is the right way to attract financial porpoises to investigate and develop other museum’s activities.
3. To guarantee all groups will have the same common idea to manage the museum. To share goals between all the management bring as a result to have a common point of view about the museum’s mission and help to be dominated by each interest, strange moves, “hidden plans”, etc.
4. To allow museum to show different points of view about its mission. Being more concrete, the natural objectives show themes from different perspectives to promote the visitor to figure his own meanings from the museum experience.
5. To promote the agreement and the collaboration between the different museum’s departments. In this way the departments will help in a better and easier way to build and reach the aims of the museum.
6. To support the museum’s planning strategy. The future of the museum will depend on a clear vision of where the museum wants to go as institution and how it os going to get there. The goals and the actions are the keystones of a good planning strategy.
“Gordian Not”, Henrique Oliveira
We know that museums are permanently “bombed” with opinions as ours, more when we insist looking to emptiness about solutions needed to go ahead, to improve management, to improve collections, to improve visitor’s services, etc. We know that museum’s must be under the managing their own specialists and we do not have anything to say about it. But we must give our opinion when we see that something is not working properly. In many cases is not.